Sunday, October 4, 2020

94 - Review and Reflect



What did YOU learn this week?

Here’s a review of the things I’ve covered this past week, a quick look ahead at what’s coming, and a few other things that I picked up.

This week:

Started with Visual management systems and metrics

    Safety
    Productivity and Delivery

Thursday, I shared October’s theme of Connecting and the Integral Leadership Model.

On Friday, I had to confront a personal demon of weight gain during COVID-19 and shared my decision to do something about it. 

Saturday I shared a travel update that focused on canceled cruises - and on hope for the future because of pent up travel demand

Coming up:

I'm getting into the outline for my book High Speed Problem Solving.  I will also do my best to make sure these problem solving concepts connect to the leadership theme for the month:  Connect.

Other things that have been driving my time the past couple of weeks:

Lean Coaching Summit 

next August - I’ve been invited to do a 90-minute breakout where I’m going to focus on coaching leaders through the deployment of a visual management system and I’ve asked to do a day-long pre-conference workshop on Coaching for High Speed Problem Solving

I’m reviewing a new book called CEO Coaching by Kazu Hisano.  Norman Bodek gave it to me.  Kazu is an incredibly successful CEO Coach, so I have high hopes for this book.

Norman founded Productivity, Inc back in the 80’s and published english translations of Japanese productivity experts like Taiichi Ohno and Shigeo Shingo, giving us our Lean Thinking canon of work.

Library Study Groups

Norman has also opened his library and is creating study groups who will work through certain articles in that library and have small group discussions about them to pull out key and essential lessons. 

He’s asked me to facilitate and coach some of the groups so I'm looking forward to getting these going. 

Connect and Lead

I’m also reviewing my friend, Brian Patterson’s book, Connect and Lead - focusing on applications of Choice Theory of Leadership. 

It’s in it’s final editing stage and should be available before the end of the year.

Through a note from an old colleague from the University of Kentucky, Kozo Saito, I learned that they have published Fujio Cho’s Legacy Lecture Notes.  Fujio Cho was President of Toyoto Motor Manufacturing Kentucky in the late 80’s through the 90’s and went on to become Chairman of the Toyota Motor Company.  I expect many fantastic tidbits of wisdom from these notes.

Quantum Profit Science

I’m learning more about Quantum Profit Science -  a different way to look at scheduling production in a work system that’s focused on scheduling profit instead of scheduling inventory or orders.

What I’ve learned so far is that if we can get away from the constraints of most current systems and set profit as a fixed and required output, then we can design a schedule that makes the most profitable, balanced schedule, increasing on-time deliveries, reducing costs, and improving operations. 

Most importantly, it focuses on what is the truth about the work that we’re doing. 

Most of our accounting systems today allow us to manipulate the numbers depending on who we’re trying to impress: 

  • Productivity for the COO, 
  • Financial strength for the bankers, and 
  • Financial weakness for the IRS. 

This system delivers an un-manipulated truth so you can make better decisions.

In one example that I’ve seen, a company reached the same level of profit by producing less than half the previously required output. 

There is real potential here, and as I learn more about it, I’ll be sharing it more with some of my clients where I think it’ll make a huge difference for them. 

It’s also extremely affordable and it gets set up in just a couple of months instead of the year-long implementation that certain other IT programs require.  More to follow on this.


Pretty promising and exciting stuff.  I don't know how I'm going to get it done!

Have a great day and I'll see you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment