Monday, October 12, 2020

100 - Why am I doing this?



Good Morning!

This is my 100th posting today.  I suppose I should have some kind of special celebration.  Maybe I'll have a glass of 18-year-old Elijah Craig, or the Van Winkle Special Reserve I got for my birthday!

I haven't gotten very much engagement with these postings.  My old friend Dan Shumate has been the most encouraging, so thank you Dan.  I cross post these to Linked In, where I don't get much traction either, so I've had people question why I'm doing these if I'm not getting results, and growing my mailing list, or getting new clients. 

Those are very good questions.  I've had several people tell me that they see the videos and some have said they really like them.  I've even had one tell me they look forward to them, but if they don't like, share, or comment on Facebook or LinkedIn or YouTube I don't see that.  Still, it feels good to hear.

I've decided that I'm doing these for me.  I get to focus my brain every morning in figuring out and writing down what I feel like talking about every morning.  It helps me get the day started - even though on some days it's all I'm able to finish.  I get a sense of accomplishment every day that I do one, and now, since I've missed a couple of days, I feel bad when I don't get to do one.  Keeping the streak going is a pretty good motivator for me. 

As I've mentioned before, this month I've started scheduling topics that should help me write a new book I'm calling High Speed Problem Solving.  It isn't working out as well as I hoped, because what I can say in a 3-minute video doesn't translate to more than a page of text.  I still think it'll work, though.

I'll be happy to deviate from the schedule to talk about anything you as a viewer would like to learn more about.  If it's something I know pretty well, I can turn that around pretty quickly.  If it isn't, then I get the opportunity to go dig around and learn a few new things.  I hope you'll challenge me on this.

I have one friend who doesn't comment on the posts but clearly watches some of them.  He provides excellent feedback that helps me make these more accessible and more relevant.  The last message he sent suggested I bring guests on especially for technical topics like safety.

I love that idea and intended to do that with a longer show.  It's very tough to bring on a guest when my target time is only 3 minutes, especially since I like to talk!  But the idea has morphed into a weekly show idea where I can do 20 to 30 minutes.  I can record that on Zoom, and Zoom will actually strip out the audio so I can run that as a Podcast in addition to the webcast on Youtube. 

There are a zillion Podcasts.  Gaining traction requires excellent content, excellent production,  and excellent marketing.  I've never been great at marketing, so I'd have to work a lot harder at that or find a good partner to do that.  If you're interested, let me know.

One thing I know for sure is that I get a lot of help from the Lord.  I know He has my back, and I know I'm working His plan so when the time comes, He'll have just what I need ready for me.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to keep pressing on.  I'm going to keep sharing what I discover with all of you.  I'll focus on excellence in operations and leadership for the big part, but every week I will do an episode on travel.  Travel might be where I start the weekly longer show.

This week, I'm speaking at the People Processes Digital Summit.  The summit will run Thursday and Friday.  I'm on at 11 am on Friday.  There are lots of good speakers lined up so I'd love to have you join us.  It's free, but they are also offering a VIP package for extra access for a few bucks.  The last day to register is Wednesday the 14th.  I'll paste the link in the comments.

Have a fantastic Indigenous People's Day.  Go do something to help someone today.  Put their needs above yours.  A little love goes a long way and we need it now more than ever.

Have a great day and I'll see you tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment