Monday, August 24, 2020

55 - Self Efficacy - How confident are you about your ability to do your job?




How confident do you feel about your ability to do your job?

This confidence about specific tasks is called self-efficacy.   When I first learned about it, it connected a whole bunch of dots for me.  I was studying the Toyota Production System and this concept explained a lot about why team members there were so willing to submit ideas about improving the work.

I learned that people with high self-efficacy do 3 pretty cool things:

  1. They are much more likely to take steps on their own to improve their own workspace than people with low self-efficacy
  2. They are much more likely to try new things and experiment to see what might work better.
  3. When they try this new things and they don’t work, they dig in and persist through that failure.  They keep trying until they MAKE it work.

Other people might try something a leader suggests, or more likely directs them to do, but when it doesn’t work, they will shrug it off and say things like “I told you that wouldn’t work.”

I learned that you don’t have to just hire people with naturally high self-efficacy to get this kind of energy.  There are things that leaders can do to help improve levels of self-efficacy in their people!

That’s what I’ll be talking about this week.

Open your calendar and block Wednesday at noon so you can join me for a lean coffee and have a
good discussion about whatever is on your mind. 

Block Thursday at 2 pm, too and join my webinar on Navigating Changing Times.  I’m going to share 5 key things to help lead people through anything that is changing in their lives.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment